Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Green Ginger Iced Tea

It's supposed to be 94 degrees today in the Peninsula today as this early fall heat wave is continuing. Iced tea is one of my favorite drinks and a great refresher when it's sweltering outside. However, I haven't found many iced teas that I like from the grocery store and recently have been experimenting with making my own, which I have found is both easy and much more economical. Here's one of my favorites, which combines green tea, delivering a great source of antioxidants, and ginger tea, which helps encourage a healthy digestive system. This also would be comforting served warm in the winter.

Green Ginger Iced Tea
2 tea bags green tea
2 tea bags ginger tea (such as Yogi Tea, which can be found at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and most grocery storess)
8 cups water
3 T. honey

Fill a tea pot or regular saucepan filled with 4 cups water. Bring the water up until it's steaming but not boiling (boiling water can make green tea taste bitter). Put the 2 green tea and 2 ginger tea bags in a pitcher (I like kinds that have a lid so that I can easily store it in the fridge for longer periods of time). Pour the steaming water over the tea bags and let steep for approximately 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags with tongs and stir in approximately 3 T. honey (you can add more or less depending on how sweet you want it - I just like a little). Pour another 4 cups cold water into the pitcher and either serve immediately over ice or place in the fridge to cool completely.

Stay cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment