Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fresh and Quick Mexican Bowl

As I've been adjusting to my new job, I've found that I generally have less time to throw dinner together than I used to, so you'll start to see more recipes from me that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. This particular recipe is one that I've been making for a while and never disappoints. It's best heading into summer when you can get fresh corn, but frozen would also work too in a pinch. A tip about removing kernels from the cob - use a serrated knife and do it in a bowl - makes it much easier.

This dish is fresh, light, and highlights some of the early summer produce - corn, summer squash, and avocados. The best part is that it comes together in about 15 minutes. Seriously!



Fresh and Quick Mexican Bowl
Serves 2

Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Extra virgin olive oil
2 ears corn, husked and kernels removed
2 small zucchini or summer squash, diced
1 bunch green onions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
1 t. ancho chili powder
1/2 t. smoked (not sweet) paprika
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
Salsa of your choice
Queso fresco cheese

Heat 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, zucchini, green onions, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt and saute for 5 minutes. Separate into two deep bowls and top with the black beans, salsa, avocado, and queso fresco.

1 comment:

  1. This looks AMAZING and SO easy. I'm definitely going to be trying it!

    ReplyDelete